[lit-ideas] Is This A Dagger I See Before Me?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:09:35 EST

Apples in the Basket

McCreery "Everyday conversation: "The dog is eating the rug." "Make him
stop."
Philosopher's conversation: "A knows that 'The dog is eating the rug'  only
if the dog is eating the rug." And so?"

-- And so far so good.

From you can make "the closest of friends" -- and no better way, trust me,
than get that _via_ philosophy. (Only philosophers who have studied Aristotle's
 "Ethica Nichomachea" understand _philosophically_ was Moore and Russell in
this  passage below -- what 'the very closest of friends' *means*)

-- From

Jonathan Miller has this exchange between London-born (Irish ancestry)
philosopher G. E. Moore and Welsh (well, Monmoutshire-born) philosopher B. W.
E,
Lord Russell as they meet in Cambridge's Trinity:

CD Angel CD ZDM 0777 7 64771 21.

“Portrait from Memory”

MILLER:

“The British philosopher Bertrand Russell was reminiscing on television a
great deal in those days”.

Presenter:

This is the BBC Third Programme. We have in the  studio Bertrand Russell, who
talks to us in the series,

        “Sense, Perception, &  Nonsense, Number Seven:

            Is this  a dagger I see before me?”

Bertrand Russell.

Bertrand Russell:

"One of the advantages of living in Great Court, Trinity, I seem to recall,

was the fact that one could pop across, at any time of the day or night,

into trap of the then young G. E. Moore, into a logical falsehood, by

means of a cunning semantic subterfuge.

         I recall one occasion with  particular vividness. I had popped

across and have knocked upon his door.

         “Come in,” he said.

I decided to wait a while, in order to test the validity of his  proposition.

        “Come in,” he said once again.

        “Very well,” I replied, “if that  is in fact truly what you wish.”

       I opened the door accordingly, and  went it. And there was Moore,

seated by the fire, with a basket upon his knees. “Moore,” I said,

“Do you have any apples in that basket?”.

          “No,” he replied,  and smiled seraphically, as was his wont. I

decided to try a different logical tack.

          “Moore,” I said, “do  you, then, have SOME apples in that basket?”
.

          “No,” he replied,  leaving me in a logical cleft stick from which
I had

but one way out.

           “Moore,” I  said, “do you, *then*, have APPLES in that basket?”.

          “Yes,” he replied.

And, from that day forth, we remained the very closest of  friends."

products.