[lit-ideas] Iranian President responds to Bush

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 11:55:12 -0800

The following are excerpts from the Iranian President's response to Bush's
State of the Union address [Lawrence]:

Special Dispatch - Iran

February 2, 2006

No. 1084

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Bushehr Responds to President Bush:
Superpowers Made of Straw are Behind All Wars and Conspiracies in the World

The following are excerpts from a speech by Iranian President Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad in Bushehr, aired on IRINN TV on February 1, 2006.

TO VIEW THIS CLIP VISIT:  http://www.memritv.org/search.asp?ACT=S9
<http://www.memritv.org/search.asp?ACT=S9&P1=1019> &P1=1019.

To view this Special Dispatch in HTML, visit:
http://www.memri.org/bin/opener_latest.cgi?ID=SD108406 .

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: "One of the fields... One of the fields in which the
enemies do not want our people to progress is the field of science and
technology.

[...]

"One of the scientific fields in which they insist our people will not gain
victory is the field of nuclear technology. Look around you. There are
people whose arsenals are full of nuclear weapons. These are people whose
arsenals are full of biological and chemical weapons, and today they are
opposing our people's research, science, and industrial progress. They all
sit together and make decisions, and think that the Iranian people goes by
their opinions.

"I tell them here and now: Oh imaginary superpowers made of straw, know that
the Iranian people has been independent for the last 27 years, and for 27
years it has been making decisions on the basis of its own will and efforts.
On the issue of nuclear energy, our people, Allah willing, will continue in
its path until its rights are completely achieved, and the opportunity to
progress completely realized. We consider nuclear energy to be the Iranian
people's right, and as servants of the people, we will be steadfast until
the complete fulfillment of this right.

"Finally, allow me to say a word to the man who won his elections by
spending billions of dollars and by a court order, thus becoming a leader of
a large country. In his speech last night he accused the Iranian people of
violating human rights. He accused the Iranian people of opposing freedom.
These are people whose arms are submerged up to the elbows in the blood of
other nations. Wherever there is war and oppression in the world, they are
involved. These people channel their factories to the production of weapons.
These people generate wars in Asia and Africa, killing millions and millions
of people, in order to help their production, employment, and economy. These
are people whose biological laboratories manufacture germs, and export them
to other countries in order to subjugate other peoples. These are the people
who, in the last century, caused several devastating wars. In one world war
alone, they killed over 60 million people.

"Today too, wherever there are crimes and conspiracies, and wherever there
are despotic regimes that are against their own people, you will find their
footprints, their schemes, and their support.

"Today, they are accusing our people of violating human rights and of
violating freedom. In the near future, Allah willing, we will put you to
trial in courts established by the peoples. Our people has a culture of
martyrdom and self-sacrifice. Our people has culture and civilization. It is
a free and revolutionary people.

"I say to the superpowers made of straw and to some countries that want to
violate our people's rights: The Iranian people will not be affected by your
false propaganda. With its unity, high ambitions, and faith, our people will
march in pride and triumph, Allah willing."

*********************

The Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) is an independent,
non-profit organization that translates and analyzes the media of the Middle
East.  Copies of articles and documents cited, as well as background
information, are available on request.

MEMRI holds copyrights on all translations. Materials may only be used with
proper attribution.

The Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) P.O. Box 27837, Washington,
DC 20038-7837

Phone: (202) 955-9070

Fax: (202) 955-9077

E-Mail: memri@xxxxxxxxx