[lit-ideas] Re: In memoriam James White

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:40:05 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 7/17/2013 8:16:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx writes:
What a way to begin a book!

Indeed, as per my previous link, we should be reminded that his other work
included:

‘Landmarks of the History of England,’ London,  1855,  8vo.
‘Landmarks of the History of Greece,’ London, 1857,   8vo.
‘History of France,’ Edinburgh, 1859, 8vo; 2nd ed. 1860.
‘History  of  England,’ London, 1860, 8vo.

--- but no history of Scotland!
or Rome!

It may do to review some of his contemporary criticism, as per Rev. Sidney
("I never read a book before reviewing it -- it prejudices a man so"), both
in  'general' literary sources and more 'professional' 'historical' ones.
And  perhaps we SHOULD mind if his history of France was ever reviewed _in
France_!  (or attempted a translation).

It is no wonder he focused on France rather than, say, Rome, seeing the
stronger link of France with Scotland, than with Italy, no?

Cheers,

Speranza