[lit-ideas] Re: Implicatura

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 14:49:43 -0400

In a message dated 10/18/2015 2:06:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx writes: "Meanwhile, Scotland suffered another in a long
line
of unjust and glorious defeats:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34550876, which saved them from having
to re-fight the Falklands war. The
implications of an Australia v Argentina match are not for me to construe."

the implications of an Australian v Argentina match are not for me to
construe.

I hope you don't mean the implicatures --since those are for _Grice_,
granted, to construe.

But back to McEvoy's question:

"Can implicatura, or its derivatives, be used to reverse the
Argentina-Ireland scores in the rugby?"

Note that the report does not use "Argentina", but the rather metaphorical
term, "Pumas":

i. Ireland battled back from a first-quarter deficit of 17-0 with tries
from Luke Fitzgerald and Jordi Murphy making it a three-point game at one
stage, but the Pumas powered away in the closing stages.

Had the reporter used 'Pumas' without a capital "P", the implicature would
have been different

ii. The pumas powered away.

"Puma" was coined by Jardine 1834 to refer to a genus of the subfamily
Felinae, of the family Felidae, of the suborder Felifornia, of the order
Carnivora of the class Mammalia of the phylum Chordata of the kingdom Animalia.

While Jardine used 'puma' literally in 1834, it acquired an extra
implicature in 1965 when used by a reporter. As a consequence, the Argentine
rugby
team acquired the nickname "Pumas", from this local journalist after their
first tour match overseas. The reporter was echoing a the farmer who
commented on the crest embroidered on the players' jerseys being more like a
puma
– rather than a jaguar -- "very like a puma," were his words.

The animal on the jersey was indeed a jaguar, but the players thought that
'puma' sounded "_funnier_" than jaguar, so the misnomer stuck.

The coach was furious: "Our log was a jaguar, not a puma; but what can we
do when a reporter is an ignoramus?"

"We chose a jaguar, as it can be found in northern Argentina."

"It's a Tupi–Guarani word, 'jaguar' is. In Tupian "yaguar" means "beast"
generally, although I have seen it translated sometimes as "dog"," he
explained.

Cheers,

Speranza