[lit-ideas] Re: If you can mimic Simic, you too can be Poet Laureate

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 01:31:40 -0500

A beautiful poem indeed, Mike.

John -- your haiku of sorts brought to mind this passage (and I will not
speak the author's name just now -- I am curious to know -- I am more
curious to know what listers make of the following than become embroiled in
a critique of the author):

"A nun lives in the fires of the spirit, a thinker lives in the bright wick
of the mind, an artist lives jammed in the pool of materials.  (Or, a nun
lives, thoughtful and tough, in the mind, a nun lives, with that special
poignancy peculiar to religious, in the exile of materials; and a thinker,
who would think of something, lives in the clash of materials, and in the
world of spirit where all long thoughts must lead; and an artist lives in
the mind, that warehouse of forms, and an artist lives, of course, in the
spirit.)"

Julie Krueger