[lit-ideas] How many roads?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:18:14 -0400

Donal's signature asks:

'How many "roads" must a "man" walk down/ Before we stop arguing about whether we should call them "roads" or a "man"?'

At least one, possibly two or three.

"Man" and "roads" certainly have to be used at least once--to establish the naming procedure (as Walter called it). Further it seems that a second mention is required to establish a naming convention, and a third mention would be required in defense of the naming convention in the argument whose cessation is the question posed.

After that, competing claims to how many "deer trails" must a "hominid" footslog down/ Before we stop arguing about whether we should call them "deer trails" or a "hominids" would arise. These would be joined by variant questions about how many "traffic circles" must a "Pithecanthropus erectus" sashay around/ Before we stop arguing about whether we should call them "traffic circles" or "Pithecanthropus erectus."

All in all, I suspect a lot of "road" and "man" must be argued, perhaps for centuries, before Zimmerman can sing a lyric. I can wait, but can you?