[lit-ideas] Re: How To Write A Poem.

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 23:54:12 -0500

Dear David and Eric,. thank you for your comments.  Both of you seem to
assume that I have some awareness of what I'm doing.  I don't.

David's comment --  "I like the poem, particularly the zero sum game,
nothing to the visitors, nothing to the victors, nothing to the victims.
 Yes, that's about it."  -- I like that comment.  I just wish that it was in
my what I had intended.  I have no idea what I intended.  I just like the
sound of it at the moment.  But I like the fact that you made the poem your
own.  That's what art's all about, I think.

Eric's comment  that I don't leave enough mystery in my writing is, I hate
to admit, spot on.  But I can explain that.  I usually have no idea where
any poem is going or what it's about and so I don't trust anything I write
and always feel compelled to justify the whole enterprise.  Find some moral
in it.  Maybe it's a Catholic thing.

Mike Geary
Memphis

My friend