[lit-ideas] H'mf!

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:15:15 EST

Geary on W. Owen, Dulce et decorum.

>there it was in all the anthologies.  The powers that were could only hrumph
their disapproval.

humph: The inarticulate syllable ‘h'mf!’, used: app. as a  signal: cf.
HUMPH.

1681  OTWAY  Soldier's Fort. IV. i,
Truly a good Conscience is a great  Happiness; and so I'll pledge you, hemph,
 hemph.
as an expression of doubt or dissatisfaction. Also n., as a name for  this
utterance.

1815 Sixteen  & Sixty I. ii,
Humph!..her lips are of the brightest.

1824 SCOTT Redgauntlet Let. ii,
A half articulated ‘humph!’ which seemed to convey  a doubt.

1840 HOOD Up the Rhine 75
My Uncle received this intelligence with a ‘Humph’.

1865 KINGSLEY Herew. iv, ‘Humph!’ says the  eagle.

1872  DARWIN Emotions iv. 86 His humph of  assent was rendered by a slight
modulation strongly emphatic.

To utter an inarticulate ‘h'mf!’.    as a signal.

1681 OTWAY  Soldier's Fort. II.  i,
 I desire you to humph..and look  back at me.
as an expression of doubt or dissatisfaction.

1814 JANE  AUSTEN Mansf. Park xlv,
After humphing and considering over a particular  paragraph.

1834 L. RITCHIE Wand. by Seine 70
Some of the polite Frenchmen humphed, and shrugged  their  shoulders.