[lit-ideas] Re: Hitler-Stalin/Voices of Reluctance (a novel)

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 05:18:12 -0700 (PDT)

Overtly or covertly.  Set up a sniper on a rooftop in Guatemala, bring in phony
press coverage, start a 'revolution', leave a country in chaos.  It's been done
countless times.  The American people aren't to blame, it's all corporate
driven (United Fruit in Guatemala), except that ordinary Americans make it
their business to not have any idea what's going on.  Ignorance is such bliss,
and so easily achieved.  At least with invading Iraq we were upfront about it.
Tried to grab the oil but it got botched beyond recognition, so we switched to
spreading democracy.  Americans still believe we're spreading democracy, even
after Alan Greenspan said the invasion was about oil, but most never heard of
Alan Greenspan and CNN doesn't enlighten them.  To be fair, humans are humans;
all humans, all the time.  The English did their share.  Certainly nobody tops
the Dutch in the Congo, they shattered Africa, just decimated it.  Now Obama
lectures
 to Africa.  It's like they got hit by a Mack truck and now it's their job to
undo the damage.  Isn't that the way of the world.

Just curious, Donal.  How is America perceived in England now?  Maybe that's
not a fair question.  It's like asking how is England perceived in America
now.  Most Americans probably couldn't find England on a map.  Maybe they
could.  Most have heard of the Beatles and on Thanksgiving they know that
turkeys came from England.  Or Puritans.  Geoge Washington came from England?
Diana came from England.  Never mind.  They heard of England.

Andy

--- On Fri, 8/14/09, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Eric The Everready: Lately I've made friends with people from other countries.

Jeez. Who else have you have invaded while my back's been turned? (On a serious
note, that the US military act like thuggish murderers can be added to the
cliche list c/o serving members of the British armed forces in Iraq and
Afghanistan).