[lit-ideas] Re: History

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:09:01 -0800

> Robert Paul wrote:
>

>> (The German scientists really are too much.)

Ursula asked:

Meaning...?

Meaning that I hear them looking for a way out of their failure as physicists and technicians everywhere but in the mirror. I also hear them speaking as if they were well aware that their conversations were being monitored. I grant that the complete transcripts (nearly complete compilations are listed on the site) may tell a different story.

Heisenberg, in a postwar interview

<http://www.haigerloch.de/stadt/atomkeller/heisenberg.html>

says that on the German side, there was never a race to see who could make the first atomic bomb:

‘The situation psychologically was different. It was a new situation for us scientists in Germany. Now for the first time we could get money from our government to do something interesting and we intended to use this situation. The official slogan of the government was: We must make use of physics for warfare. We turned it around for our slogan: We must make use of warfare for physics. It was a very natural reaction. everybody likes to make interesting experiments.

‘We felt already in the beginning that if it were possible at all to actually make explosives it would take such a long time and require such an enormous effort that there was a very good chance the War would be over before that could be accomplished.’

I find the first paragraph hard to believe.

Robert Paul
Reed College