[lit-ideas] Hintikkiana

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 16:40:20 -0400

In a message dated 8/15/2015 4:01:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes in "Jaako Hintikka":
http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2015/08/in-memoriam-jaakko-hintikka-1929-2015.html

Interesting.

For the record, J. Hintikka contributed a piece on the logic of
conversation to Grandy/Warner, "P. G. R. I. C. E.", short for "Philosophical
Grounds
of Rationality: Categories, Intentions, Ends. (*)

Most say that Hintikka was a genius.

Oops, another -iana!

Cheers,

Speranza

(*) The volume was meant as a festschrift for P. Grice, but The Clarendon
Press said that they would not publish anything with "P. Grice" in the
title, as it would decrease sales. So Grandy and Warner came up with the
acronym. Grice was supposed to answer individually to each contribution (as
Popper
does in his festschrift that McEvoy often quotes) but changed his mind --
implicating: he didn't. But the ultimate implicature seems to be that
"Yeah, I like Hintikka's piece!" (only Grice would rather be seen dead than
uttering "Yeah").