[lit-ideas] Re: Heroin bust

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 19:38:22 -0700

Veronica Caley wrote

On Friday morning at 9 AM Eastern Standard Time I heard a report on BBC World Service that U.S. and Russian forces broke up a heroin storage and processing plant in Afghanistan near the Pakistani border. I would like to know if anyone watching U.S. news outlets in any form heard, read or have seen the same. According to the BBC, the stuff was worth .5 billion U.S. dollars. I consider this extraordinary news and yet I heard or read nothing about it anywhere else. Mostly because of American and Russian joint military operation.

Well, there's this, but the value of the haul seems to have shrunk a bit in the telling.

'It involved raids on four laboratories associated with a significant dugs (sic) trafficker in the province. Approximately one metric ton of heroin worth $250 million was seized, along with a smaller quantity of opium and items used in drug production, U.S. authorities said.'

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/10/29/afghanistan.drug.bust/index.html

Robert Paul