[lit-ideas] Re: Herman Wouk's mini-series

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:51:32 -0600

Herman Wouk's mini-seriesLH:
>>The pacifists among us will always prefer the Athenian approach, and the
>>enemy will always see that as a sign of weakness, and the death toll will
>>always be much much too large as a result.<<

You're probably right, but then the warmongers among us will always prefer the
Lyndon Johnson - George Bush approach -- preemptive war even though there's
nothing to preempt.  And the death toll of innocent people has been in the
millions.  Forty years of war is enough.  We've proved to the world that we
have no more concern for human life than anyone else.  They know that now.  We
don't need to kill anyone else to prove it.  I prefer going to war when there's
absolutely no other option, but then, I'm a coward, the thought that so many
innocent people were killed by my government scares the hell out of me.  Karma
is coming, boys and girls, karma is coming.

Mike Geary
Memphis