[lit-ideas] Here's a little dtty

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:37:20 -0600

SPERANZAID

Divine Andreas from his dais
did most imperially tell
the hopelessly  prolific JL:
"Four a day, no more."
T'was a bitter law and stuck in the craw
of Jorge-Luis who had no police,
no, nor writ to right this wrong against all writing.
Not even a Blackwater guard had he
to protect him from such a Lit-Id wedgie.
Oh, the waters of Greece are tragedian,
so slow they flow and black as sloe,
as black as the fleece of recessive sheep
or the souls of disreputable family members.

I sing of the etymologies and the man
who first from Ligurian shores set foot in Guilford,
Relate to me the causes, O Muse, what made this man of musicals
rise up to challenge the tone deaf and rhythmless gods?
Refresh my memory, what drove this man of countless implicatures,
to such blatant provocation even in the face
of threatened regulation by the immortals who be?
Why does cruel Juno -- sorry, that would Hera to Speranza --
afflict this man with sorrows so?

The sky grows bruise dark, cloud glowers as from some ancient anger beyond
expiation.
Wind slams barn doors, rips roofs from sheds, deracinates trees.
A low rumbling in the distance warns of deep disarray.
The time is out of joint, all right, a bad moon is on the rise, a hard rains
gonna fall,
and JL knows it all already.
He has gathered unto himself that which is needed to survive,
his Loeb library (still incomplete -- contributions welcomed) and has fled
over the whale road to La Plata, to sit by the pool and ponder
naked Helen (or is it Hellenes)?  Or maybe the Turks,
but they can be such jerks sometimes.
But then, can't we all?

Mike Geary
just wondering when JL is