[lit-ideas] Hemingway's The Killers

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:12:51 -0500

Recently I saw the daddy of noir movies, The Killers with Burt Lancaster
and Ava Gardner.  The credits said it was based on a Hemingway story.  My
curiosity was piqued, so I got the story and read it.  Hemingway's
contribution is only the opening scene in the diner where two hit men come
in looking for the Swede, in my opinion the best part of the movie.  I
remember being scared by it as a kid.  Even watching it now that scene has
a nightmarish quality to it.  The story is only a handful of pages long.  I
admit to reading mostly nonfiction, but there's something about an author
who kills himself that makes his work take on an added dimension.  Anybody
know anything about this story?  The shadowy recesses of a depressed man's
mind maybe?  Maybe it's just a story and there's nothing to know?

Andy Amago