[lit-ideas] Re: Happiness and Homogeneity?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 13:41:28 -0400

Teemu: There is actually a professor, the name escapes me, in
Harvard I think who argues that ordinary stuff (the
clock on VCR, an unreliable car) is completely
underestimated as a source or anxiety; when small
everyday things work, people are happy. I always liked
the idea, and not the least because it turns
engineering into a noble cause.

Thanks for the great reply.

Do you think there is a connection between social cohesion and good engineering? Or more broadly, a connection between social cohesion and good work in general? I'm thinking of John Galsworthy's old essay "On Quality," where he argues, in part, that respect for craft betokens respect for individuals.

Eric