[lit-ideas] Re: Hans Shuga

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 20:46:12 -0800

"Shuga" thought it important to distinguish the formal treatment of 'the'
('der', in German). According to _one_ account, 'the' comes out as a _term_
(this is the option Grice favoured). According to the other account, 'the'
(or  'der') comes out as a _quantifier_.

In symbols

     (ix)Zx & Mx

there is an x such that x is the author of 'Sein und Zeit' and x wears a
moustache

You have an 'i' where (I think) you want an inverted iota (which I can't reproduce for you). In the notation of Principia Mathematica, this symbol is read as 'the,' and is used in the formal notation for definite descriptions:

'(?x)
[...]

'(?x)?x' = 'the x such that ?x'

(Notation freaks will notice that my iota is right side up; the reasons for this are too arcane for this discussion. It may also turn out that what now looks like a _phi_ on this page will not make it intact into every mailbox affiliated with this list.)

    where the predicates Z and M are extensionally defined  as:

    Z:  ... is the author of "Sein und Zeit"
    M: ... wears a moustache.

These are not extensional definitions. An extensional definition, as opposed to an intensional one, specifies its extension by listing everything that the term picks out. 'Wears a moustache,' e.g., would list Einstein, Theodore Roosevelt, Margaret Thatcher, usw. Extensional definitions can be unduly cumbersome.

Robert Paul,
waiting out the cold,
somewhere south of Reed College