[lit-ideas] Re: HOW IT IS on Route 66

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 15:42:47 -0400

Lawrence Helm wrote:

I’ve continued to watch some of the “old” episodes from old as well as current TV series on _http://tv.msn.com/tv/browse/default.aspx?ipp=200&tvbt=3_ <http://tv.msn.com/tv/browse/default.aspx?ipp=200&tvbt=3> The one I just started watching Is/ New Amsterdam//. / Why was this show cancelled, I wondered as I watched the first few episodes, but then noticed that it hasn’t been cancelled. It is still going on. And then I wondered why this show goes on while others, with equally good stories and writing, have been cancelled,/ Life/ and/ Surface/ for example. I wonder if it had something to do with Amsterdam’s immortality. Immortality has been a popular theme since Utnapishtim the Faraway. And didn’t the Green Knight have it? And didn’t the Spanish explorers in the New World seek it? And didn’t the Ancient Mariner have it? And the Headless Horseman?

And in more recent times, the Highlander, and Mick St. John in/ Moonlight. / The former had a long run and the latter seems to be still going on.

I don’t remember what happened to Utnapishtim the Faraway

Two things....I've been watching old Route 66 episodes. George Maharis was one of my heartthrobs in early teenagehood. So I was a little worried about looking at these. But they have held up well. There's much to be admired, still. The dislike of rules is front and centre every week. The passion, the caring, the sense of justice, the searching, the yearning, the willingness to stand up and be counted all made their way into my psyche. I tried to become what I admired. I think it counts as literature. Some of the episodes are worthy of Faulkner...

Catch it if you can...