[lit-ideas] Guardian Unlimited: An Iraqi intifada

  • From: omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:11:20 +0000 (UTC)

Omar spotted this on the Guardian Unlimited site and thought you should see it.

To see this story with its related links on the Guardian Unlimited site, go to
http://www.guardian.co.uk

An Iraqi intifada
Now the war is being fought in the open, by people defending their homes
Naomi Klein in Baghdad
Monday April 12 2004
The Guardian

April 9, 2003 was the day Baghdad fell to US forces. One year later, it is
rising up against them.

Donald Rumsfeld claims that the resistance is just a few "thugs, gangs and
terrorists". This is dangerous wishful thinking. The war against the occupation
is now being fought out in the open, by regular people defending their homes
and neighbourhoods - an Iraqi intifada.

"They stole our playground," an eight-year-old boy in Sadr City told me this
week, pointing at six tanks parked in a soccer field, next to a rusty jungle
gym. The field is a precious bit of green in an area of Baghdad that is
otherwise a swamp of raw sewage and uncollected rubbish.

Sadr City has seen little of Iraq's multibillion-dollar "reconstruction", which
is partly why Moqtada al-Sadr and his Mahdi army have so much support here.
Before the US occupation chief, Paul Bremer, provoked Sadr into an armed
conflict by shutting down his newspaper and arresting and killing his deputies,
the Mahdi army was not fighting coalition forces, it was doing their job for
them.

After all, in the year it has controlled Baghdad, the Coalition Provisional
Authority still hasn't managed to get the traffic lights working or to provide
the most basic security for civilians. So in Sadr City, Sadr's so-called
"outlaw militia" can be seen engaged in such subversive activities as directing
traffic and guarding factories from looters. In a way, the Mahdi army is as
much Bremer's creation as it Sadr's: it was Bremer who created Iraq's security
vacuum - Sadr simply filled it.

But as the June 30 "hand-over" to Iraqi control approaches, Bremer now sees
Sadr and the Mahdi as a threat that must be taken out - along with the
communities that have grown to depend on them. Which is why stolen playgrounds
were only the start of what I saw in Sadr City this week.

In al-Thawra hospital, I met Raad Daier, a 36-year-old ambulance driver with a
bullet in his lower abdomen, one of 12 shots fired at his ambulance from a US
Humvee. According to hospital officials, at the time of the attack, he was
carrying six people injured by US forces, including a pregnant woman who had
been shot in the stomach and lost her child.

I saw charred cars that dozens of eye-witnesses said had been hit by US
missiles, and local hospitals confirmed that their drivers had been burned
alive. I also visited Block 37 of Sadr City's Chuadir district, a row of houses
where every door was riddled with holes. Residents said US tanks rolled down
their street firing into their homes. Five people were killed, including
Murtada Muhammad, aged four.

And I saw something that I feared more than any of this: a copy of the Koran
with a bullet hole through it. It was lying in the ruins of what was Sadr's
headquarters in Sadr City. On April 8, according to witnesses, two US tanks
broke down the walls of the centre while two guided missiles pierced its roof,
leaving giant craters in the floor and missile debris behind.

The worst damage, however, was done by hand. The clerics at the Sadr office say
that US soldiers entered the building and crudely shredded photographs of Grand
Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, the top Shia cleric in Iraq. When I arrived at the
destroyed centre, the floor was covered in torn religious texts, including
several copies of the Koran that been ripped and shot through with bullets. And
it did not escape the notice of the Shias here that hours earlier, US soldiers
had bombed a Sunni mosque in Falluja.

For months the White House has been making ominous predictions of a civil war
breaking out between the majority Shias, who   believe it's their turn to rule
Iraq, and the minority Sunnis, who want to hold on to the privileges they
amassed under Saddam Hussein's regime. But this week the opposite appears to
have taken place. Both Sunni and Shia have seen their neighbourhoods attacked
and their religious sites desecrated. Up against a shared enemy, they are
beginning to bury ancient rivalries and join forces against the occupation.
Instead of a civil war, they are on the verge of building a common front.

You could see it at the mosques in Sadr City on Thursday: thousands of Shias
lined up to donate blood, destined for Sunnis hurt in the attacks in Falluja.
"We should thank Paul Bremer," Salih Ali told me. "He has finally united Iraq.
Against him."

 nologo.com

Copyright Guardian Newspapers Limited