[lit-ideas] Grice on Wittgenstein in "Prolegomena" to Logic and Conversation

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 11:34:24 -0500 (EST)

Grice was concerned with a passage by Witters  cited by Monk.

Witters:

"It would have made as little sense for  me
to say 'Now I am seeing it as...' as to say
at the sight of a knife and  fork, 'Now I am
seeing this as a knife and fork'.

Grice argues that  Witters lack the 'implicature'. He (Witters) is too
ready to say that things  don't make sense to him (as the man looking at the
sky, his example at the  Jowett Society meeting, "and saying, "I think it will
rain; therefore I exist")  because "he lacked the ability to look for the
implicature".

As Grice  remarks,

"Now I am seeing this as a knife and fork', "at the sight
of  a knife and fork" is perfectly _true_ and sensical, even
if perhaps  uninformative or trivial qua breach to this or
that pragmatic 'conversational  maxim' (never 'rule')."

Or not.

On top of that, as Grice later  recollected, Witters was unable to
distinguish between "it means" and _I_ mean,  and between 'it implies' and "_I_
imply".

Witters lacked what Monk calls  'a historical perspective', I think:

Monk quotes Witters as  saying:

"As little philosophy as I have read" (Russell called him an  Austrian
engineer), "I have ... read... rather too  much."

Monk:

"This attitude would NEVER have been tolerated
at  Oxford,"

yet Hacker made part of his career commenting on
a  non-tolerated figure.

Monk continues:

"... where respect for  things past is in general
much stronger than at Cambridge."

"It is  almost inconceivable", Monk goes on,
"that a man" (sexism?) who claimed  proudly
never to have read a word of Aristotle would
have been given ANY  TUTORIAL responsibilities
at all at Oxford."

Or not. Perhaps it _is_  conceivable, if not conceived?

Cheers,

Speranza

---- "Some  like Witters, but Moore's MY man" (overheard by Grice as
uttered by J. L.  Austin).