[lit-ideas] Grice on Incorrigibility

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 23:48:20 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 4/29/2013 7:28:47 P.M.  UTC-02,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
our "intuitions" may lead us  astray: and examples of them leading us
astray may be given. Examples could be  given from logic, mathematics and
physics: and the history of these subjects is  such that few would defend their
conjectures in these fields by appealing to the  strength of their intuition.
Indeed, is there any field of knowledge where what  is intuitively correct
has never been shown to be mistaken?

-----

I think it is mainly Witters who uses 'incorrigible' (in his vernacular
German, of course), but Grice does too. It may well do to explore this
concept,  historically, in philosophy. Or not.

I will re-read McEvoy's comment and comment.

While 'logic, mathematics, and physics' seem apt examples as mentioned by
McEvoy, in ETHICS, intuitionism seems to require a different approach to
incorrigibility. Or not.

Cheers,

Speranza

---