[lit-ideas] Grice: Weak or Strong?

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 23:41:47 -0400

R. Paul:
"His PhD thesis (from Penn, 1955) was'Transformational Analysis,' but his MA thesis (also from Penn, 1951)was 'Morphophonemics of Modern Hebrew.' In 1954, while doing researchat Harvard, he reviewed Modern Hebrew, by E. Reiger, for thejournal Language."

Thanks for the details, R. Paul. Indeed, MA. I suppose he must be a native Hebrew speaker. He got so obsessed with the "native speaker" that I wonder if he thinks of himself as a native speaker. I would NOT dare to write a thesis on the morphonemics of diddly unless I spoke it fluently enough!

Palma is wrong in saying that some info is wrong. As Grice says, "wrong info" is NOT info. That´s why people are wrong when equating Grice´s maxims of Quantity with informativeness. Rather it has to do with "strength" or literally, quantity or bytes of the contents of a proposition that you can infer from some other proposition. But surely not information!

Cheers,

JL Speranza