[lit-ideas] Re: Grice, "The General Theory of Context"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 13:19:13 EDT

Oops. I thought you meant what page number in GRICE's thing. Good you found
 it of interest. Recall that you can ALWAYS quote direct from Grice,
providing  the citation details I provided you with. In that case, GRICE gets
the
full (c)  credit, as it were.

Grice, H. P. The general theory of context. The H. Paul Grice Papers, BANC
90/135, The Bancroft Library, The University of California at Berkeley.

Note that by 'general', he, perhaps confusingly, means, 'a-contextual'. He
is into an 'a-contextual' theory of 'context', and fails -- or not. The
problem,  or HIS problem is about 'theory'. What he is into is into the
paradox:

"Context out of context" which becomes tautologous for  Geary:

"Context out of context out of context out of context out of context out of
 context out of context out of context"

"He failed to indicate if he meant that seriously." "Or not".

J. L. S., Bordighera

In a message dated 5/29/2010 8:02:09 A.M., palma@xxxxxxxx writes:

found,  pp 96 & ff

no need to  reply