[lit-ideas] Re: Grass Poem Request

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 10:22:34 -0500

 From Cliff's Notes:
"In 1918, at the end of World War I, Sandburg produced “Grass,” a
savagely realistic, calm poem, more heavily symbolic and less
spontaneous than his imagist verse. A familiar theme in world
literature, the idea of creeping cemetery grass uniting all wars dates
to ancient Mediterranean verse. By speaking through the persona of
grass, Sandburg captures the impersonal work of nature: the vivid green
blades conceal from passersby the destruction of three wars—Napoleonic
battles, the American Civil War, and World War I. By naming cities
forever linked to carnage, Sandburg reminds the reader that, once
inflicted on humanity, war leaves an indelible history as grass reclaims
battle grounds and turns them into burial places. Although veiled by
spreading root structure, the events remain in memory, a prologue to
subsequent wars."

Grass by Carl Sandburg

PILE the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo.
Shovel them under and let me work—
I am the grass; I cover all.

And pile them high at Gettysburg
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:
What place is this?
Where are we now?

I am the grass.
Let me work.