[lit-ideas] Goodbye Train

  • From: atri2715 <atri2715@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:42:54 -0500

I am done with the train. The romance of the railway, the double-enetndres of
the morning ride, the melancholy of the station; I have let it all go. I
didn't mind the mornings, I hated the evenings--the hollowness, the emptiness,
the  eternal delays. I was delayed, endlessly deferred, on the way home, there
was no home anymore. A month ago there was even a suicide, in front of the
express high speed train. Enough. So I found a new home, without a train.
Alas, still a bus and a subway, as a pale reminder. I will always be a
commuter. Let us then commute.

And now, it turns out, you can even get killed on trains, in Leeds, in Boston,
in Madrid.

Alex Trifan
S. Boston