[lit-ideas] Going overboard for Edwin Fischer

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 03:46:10 -0500

On 2/22/2010 6:39 PM, Donal McEvoy wrote:
  they also go overboard for Edwin Fischer

All those golden codgers of the keyboard are well worth the listen, in my opinion. Fischer, Gieseking, Wanda Landowska on harpsichord, Josef Hofmann, Rachmaninoff playing his transcriptions, Maria Yudina's eccentric Goldberg -- beneath the hiss of digitally remastered acoustic recordings, vague early electrics, or later mono is another world of sound. It's so easy to fall into the Gadamerian trap of historicism, assuming one knows exactly how the standards were lower, the world smaller, nobody keeping score as it were. Not so. Probably the only semi-golden Bach flubber I can name is Horowitz, whose arrangements lack all conviction. (Check out the complete 1968 Carnegie Hall "return" recital for a Bach performance absent all sense of purpose.)