[lit-ideas] Re: Geary on the Name/Noun Distinction

  • From: "Michael Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:35:34 -0500

Jorge-Luis wrote:
> --- Right. Odd that he would write that, when 'religion' is not even a
> _name_, but a _noun_. ("in the noun of" is the correct latinism, as
employed by
> Geary, "Name-Calling and Name-Dropping: The Necessity -- a reply to
Kripke."

True enough.  But if you will recall my MIT lecture of last year ("Improper
Nouns: Words Gone Wild"), and my latest book, _Naming Names Is the Name of
the Game_, Belle Books, 2004), and my monograph of last week: ("Apparently
You Are", copies available from The Reed Institute) you will see that I make
allowance for sloppy languaging by advertizers.

Geary, J. M.
Air Conditioning Maven
Memphis