[lit-ideas] Fwd: An appeal to lit-ideas from Immanuel Kant

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:19:37 -0230

Dear Herr Doktor Professor Kant,

Since the maxim in question exhibits no practical contradiction, and involves
the agent in no form of illegitimate self-exemption, it abides by the Principle
of Autonomy and the Kingdom of Ends. There is, as such, no moral
impermissibility here. The decision devolves to matters of prudence or manners.
Am I missing something here? (Erin, I may need your asistance in the not too
distanct future here.)  Your humble servant, Walter

P.S. You come anywhere near my daughter again, and I'll shoot you dead next time
you go out for a walk. And I know where and when you go. Get a real job before
you go a-courtin'.

Walter O.
Koenigsberg Bakery and Deli
32 Apperception Rd.
(P)Russia   V1A 1W1

Yes, we deliver! (Noumenal charge.)

----- Forwarded message from Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> -----
    Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:10:58 -0700
    From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
 Subject: [lit-ideas] An appeal to lit-ideas from Immanuel Kant
      To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear fellow travelers in time,

Since I left Königsberg and began to travel into the deeper, darker
realms of the Kosmos, I have learned to my surprise, but also to my
delight--for what is a philosopher but one who delights in
knowledge?--that my views on Space and Time and, as one might say, on
the Mechaniks of the Universe, contained certain errors,
which in my present state I cannot undo.

That I have been forced by Reason itself to give up my former views on
these Subjects, however, has not led me to conclude that I was thereby
wrong about the
Nature of our Ethical Life, and in particular, about the Nature of the
Categorical Imperative, that Great Foundation of all our Moral
reasoning; indeed my belief in it has only stregthened as my Spirit
has gone with awe into what I now understand to be realms which far
surpass even the Starry Heavens at Night.

So, I appeal to you now, to look into your human hearts and ask
whether appending the entirety of a post to which you are replying to
your reply might in thought be projected as a universal law, binding
on all mankind, the more so--should the Categorical Imperative admits
of 'more so's'--if your reply is brief and the prior matter of
daunting length.

Yours in spirit,

Immanuel Kant

----- End forwarded message -----