[lit-ideas] Fw: Re: The flu

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:33:48 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I wrote:
Monounsaturated fatty acids are not associated with inflammation to my
knowledge, especially when consumed as whole foods, as you are doing.
Polyunsaturated FA's are associated with inflammation, but most likely not when
eaten as whole foods.  For anti-inflammatory properties I would imagine fatty
fish would be best.

Believe it or not, eating food produces an inflammatory response.  In more than
small quantities, the body sees food as a foreign substance, an invader, and
mounts an immune response.  That's no doubt the reason the nutrition director
the Pritikin Center looks like a skeleton with skin on.  Obviously there can be
too much of a good thing, or too little, as in his case.  Body fat also causes
inflammation.  Fat is now considered an endocrine organ (like the pancreas or
liver) that finely regulates hunger with a barrage of brain/body hormones.
That's why losing weight and keeping it off is so extremely difficult.  Once
the body gets the fat, it won't let it go.  I know, boring ...

Andy Amago

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx