[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama's view of the Islamist threat

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:16:04 +0100

>Judy,

>By cherry pick do you mean the following?

>Employment-Based Immigrants. Up to 140,000 visas in five preference categories,

Yes.   I make the point because the socio-economic position  of US Muslims

is often contrasted with that of Muslims in Europe, without its being pointed
out that

Muslims likely to do well economically are the ones admitted to the US.

(And "integration" is used loosely.)

LH>I thought it would be understood that in referring to the European

LH>immigration situation I wasn't intending to mean that every Muslim

LH>without exception in every European nation without exception

LH>does thus and so

It was, but I still thought you were overgeneralizing

LH>However I doubt that any nation that has "istan" tacked to its capital is

LH>likely to be as squeaky clean as you suggest:

("Londonistan" -- oh God, it's Melanie Phillips.  She's so *stupid*. )

Squeaky clean?  I said

JE>The UK is one of the most integrated countries in the world, with no ghettos
JE>and no-go areas of the kind seen in the US.

less integrated

 than other  minorities and they are socio-economically disadvantaged as a
group; I assumed that was known (and see the data on the 7/7 people).  No claim
to be squeaky clean there.

I'm interested, Lawrence, to see you laud US "tolerance" of Muslims (see also
the piece from which I quoted) at one moment and citing La Phillips, rabid
opponent of "multiculturalism", the very next post

Judy Evans, Cardiff