[lit-ideas] From an orthodontist's chair

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 16:59:50 -0700

Sitting in my Dr Danesh's chair as he was in and out taking an extraordinarily long time working on the replacement of an insert that had failed in the early days of the pandemic.  He had removed some things and installed artificial bone and then the Pandemic became serious.  When it was time to remove my stitches, his nurse said they weren't quite ready to receive patients; so I removed the stitches myself.  Later when he installed the insert, something went wrong.

But later still, the other day, he at last installed the replacement.  This time I felt something I hadn't before.  He not only screwed it into the bone buy yanked on it to be sure it held.  He was making sure he wouldn't have to install this insert a third time.

I was reading Joan Didion's /Let me tell you what I mean; /then at some point I decided to stop reading and "enjoy" what was going on.

Since that time I have been getting up from reading at my desk, going downstairs and walking about looking at the trees, birds and whatever else is going on.  Jessica always goes with me.  Sometimes Duffy does as well.

I walked back into the house earlier, looked at one of the book cases down stairs, and thought of the progress I was making in replacing the books I had gotten rid of when I thought I was about to move to Idaho.  By "replacing" I don't mean buying again the same books I had gotten rid of, but buying books I hadn't read or had read long ago and might want to read again.  Then, standing there looking at the newly purchased books in the book case, I resolved to feel free not to read anything I didn't enjoy.  I further gave myself permission to walk outside, enjoy the trees and the sky and spend as long as I liked not reading anything at all.

I've started and stopped several novels in the past few days, but just yesterday discovered Alan Russell and his novel /Burning Man. /Detective Gideon and his K9 Sirius have cornered the Santa Ana serial killer after he started a fire in the midst of a Southern California Santa Ana wind storm.  Gideon and Sirius are both shot and badly burned but Gideon captures the killer and becomes a local hero.  The chief of police promises him any job he wants once he's ready to come back to work.  Gideon keeps secret the fact that he has almost nightly nightmares in which he is back in the fire and being burned once more; Sirius, unconscious, is once again being carried by Gideon with the killer's help.  The killer wants to leave Sirius, but Gideon threatens (and means) to shoot him if he tries to run.

Then as Gideon wakes from these nightmares, there is a last bit of dream that isn't of the fire, something he has been working on, something like an insightful poem that sheds light on one of his cases.  And, in some instances, the images will be prescient.  Later on something will happen and he will recall the dream and interpret developments in a useful way.

Today I received one of the books I had ordered, /Possession, A Romance, /by A. S. Byatt, with an introduction by Philip Hensher (in the Everyman edition).  I paused while reading the introduction to write this note. Hensher writes at one point, "The novel turns on suppressed and forgotten facts, surfacing through papers, misread poems, letters and diaries.  The truth of the events between Christabel and Ash slowly comes to light.  But the novel never forgets that the past swallows its truths, too.  Perhaps the most intense moments are out of reach of the documentary reconstruction; when Roland and Maud begin to fall in love, they take 'a simple picnic.  Fresh brown bread, white Wensleydale cheese, crimson radishes, yellow butter, scarlet tomatoes, round bright green Granny Smiths and a bottle of mineral water.  They took no books.' The assertion of freedom from literature is cunningly undermined; we can hardly help but think of Dante's Paolo and Francesca, who say 'quel giorno finimmo li la lettura'; we are reminded that there are moments in lives, perhaps key moments, that nobody writes down and which go beyond words.  The novel ends, indeed, with an act of oblivion . . . ."

Perhaps I won't enjoy Byatt's novel and won't read very far into it, but I am enjoying Hensher's introduction, and I do notice how what he says nicely dovetails into what I have been thinking in recent days -- as though my thoughts were a presentment of what I would read in the introduction (Alan Russell might suggest, if I were his defective). The more scientific (I am not feeling very scientific at present as you can see) will object, "Humbug," he will say.  "You are always reading books, articles, reviews.  It would be remarkable if you didn't encounter such coincidences given Microsoft's 'Seven degrees of Separation' theory."

Believe Microsoft if you will, but "there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in [Microsoft's] philosophy."

Lawrence