[lit-ideas] Re: Friday sketch, because the weekend's busy

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 22:53:56 -0700

Oh mosquitos,
with little bites to do,
and small understanding about humans and spruce,
have you not learned how war should be declared?

First get yourselves tested
for Nile diseases,
why don't you?

Like midges, you gather now the breeze has dropped,
aiming at perfect biting runs.
What are you, footballers?
Descendants of the Hun?

On the second day of summer,
among backyard Douglas Firs, in cool and lugubrious peace,
we sat eating barbecue'd vegetables and meat,
mimicking Mongolian throat singers, all of us,
chattering sound before your fuss.

See how we swallowed most of the garden whole,
with wine and a bit of meat.

Now safely inside for dessert and dishes,
we prepare the trip,
and sip dregs
count blessings,
not bites.

Early tomorrow we'll be on the road,
for Tacoma,
in ninety or more degrees.

Mosquitos,
go help yourselves
to detrius,
feel free,
because two of our smaller targets will be dancing,
in hopeful no-mosquito land,
and we'll be wishing as you do,
that breeze and aspirations
can bloody well meet.