[lit-ideas] French elections

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 20:20:11 +0200

        Preliminary election results are in after the second round of national
elections today, and they indicate a rather crushing defeat for the
reigning Right, who appear to have received 37% of the votes as opposed
to about 50% for the Left. Hard to tell so early what the fallout from
this will be, but I expect it will be considerable, starting, I hope,
with the trashing of Prime Minister Raffarin's plans to re-vamp (i.e.
tear the guts out of) French scientific research.

        First Spain and now France : long long till the Pink Tide sweeps its
way over the rest of Europe? Where's Tricky Dick when we need him?

        Best, Mike

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76/