[lit-ideas] Freddie Learns to Waltz -- But It's All Jazz Now

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:26:43 EST

Thanks to R. Paul for his link to SEF --  and comments:

The SED entry reads:

"It was Ryle who suggested that Ayer read  Wittgenstein's Tractatus, a work
that immediately impressed him. Ryle was  also instrumental in getting Ayer to
go to Vienna in 1933 to  study with Moritz Schlick, then leader of the  Vienna
Circle..."

One (I mean, I) wonders if the man (Ryle) ever  regretted it.

I would think one way to find is to check his  Correspondence or Diaries. If
not, as Geary says, 'invent it'.

--------------------------

                       Nov. 21, 1936
                      Christ  Church

Dear Diary,

My former student, Freddie Ayer, is back
from Vienna.

If I had known _half_ of the monstrosities he is
up to in the sacred dreaming spires and corridors
of power of English intelligentsia...

I would never have suggested that tripette with Herr  Schlick.

The man, Schlick, apparently corrupted my  youth so...

That he never again was able to enjoy such Oxonian
genuine pleasures as the reading of the Symposium
on the flower-covered ivy-mantled walls of
The House overlooking the Meadow.

What aggravates me most is that all the 'youngies',
as I call them, are _fascinated_ with him.

"Tell us all you saw", they ask him. Youngies who
should know better, like good Austin, good Hampshire,
good ... Grice (He is a student at Corpus).

These are hearty clean-shaven English types who
would never _think_ of parroting what a Hun is
saying!

The disrespect Freddie is showing towards his
(and Oxford, and Civilisation) 'Greats' is just
abominable -- but then trust Victor Gollancz to
publish his sh*t. I spent years in trying Methuen
to publish my "Concept of Mind" and they keep
telling me, "Add some spice to it. It's not
polemic enough".

But, dear Diary, "ghost in the machine" is the only
insult I would tell Descartes in the face.

Anyway, that's progress for you..."

---- Darling. It's the telephone.

---- Who it may be at this time?

---- They said London.