[lit-ideas] Re: Frameworks

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:15:08 +0900

On 6/12/06, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The next day we drove, listening

For the next explosion.

I checked the windows and roofs.

A child darted out from a doorway

Causing my adrenalin to peak.

Further along a dog chased a cat, and

Toward the end a hawk flying overhead dived.

Powerful stuff. And why I, for one, see tragedy, not crime, in the young Marine's memories.

But why, the critic in me asks, is the evil other a journalist, not a
politician on his way to his next $1,000 a plate fundraiser or a day
shooting clipped-wing quail or his cushy new job at the World Bank or
on K street? You know, the guy who was too busy to serve...had better
things to do? Why not the people who put the Marine where he is, in a
poorly planned clusterfuck that makes him, not the Luke Skywalker he
dreamed of being, but one of the stormtroopers, the guys in the white
suits who provide target practice for the Rebellion?

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN