[lit-ideas] "For ever and [a d]ay"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 12:32:36 EDT

JK:

"Whenever I hear the "forever and a day" phrase, I immediately start  humming
Those Were the Days, My Friend.....a song my Dad loved to sing  "

Interesting. The OED suggests that "for ever and a day" may be a corruption
of "for ever and ay", as in

1300 Cursor M. 6218 (Cott.)

is folk..at suld vs serue for euer and  ai.

====

Geary will possibly agree, seeing that 'for ever and ever -- Amen"  is in the
Lord's Prayer (which was known to the Anglo-Saxons).

For some reason, after Sternhold is registered as first using 'for  ever and
+THE D+ay" version, it caught on. Once it entered the Shakespeare  repertoire,
it was bound to spread.

Carlyle was possibly trying to be funny. He was a Scot, and he  possibly
thought that to stick to the original "for ever and ay" would make it  sound
too
archaic -- provincial even.

While The Listener is not your London Times, so they _would_ use  the
expression without giving much thought to it.

Cheers,

JL

1549-62 _STERNHOLD_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-s4.html#sternhold)
   & _H._
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-h.html#h)   Ps.
lxxvii. 8 Is his goodnesse  cleane decayd
for euer and a day?

1596 _SHAKES._
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-s2.html#shakes)
 Tam. Shr. IV. iv. 97 Farewell  for euer and a day.

1823 _CARLYLE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-c.html#carlyle)
Let. 28 Sept. (1886) II. 225 One  youth was to go to
Germany, the other to Oxford, and I to take my leave I  supposed for ever and a
day.

1967 Listener 18 May 656/3 How else  can one explain why the Second Reform
Bill of 1867 did not sweep the  Conservatives from power for ever and a day?

J. L. Speranza, Esq.

Town:

Calle Arenales 2021, Piso 5, St. 8,
La Recoleta  C1124AAE,