[lit-ideas] Re: Farwell on the Gurkhas

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:49:13 -0800

I sent my post about Henry Fleming's regaining his war-like spirit before it was finished. I now have to go off and do some things and may not get back to it until about 6:00 PST. Briefly: I wondered how one would characterize Henry's return to the fighting after he'd thrown his gun away and then was struck in the head by a fellow-soldier's rifle butt—thus giving him a 'red badge of courage'—albeit unearned. That is, what set of emotions or reactions moved him, in light of the recent discussion of honor here.

Robert Paul