[lit-ideas] Re: Europe's September 11 - opnion

  • From: "Steven G. Cameron" <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:17:47 -0500

Phil Enns wrote:

> I had written:
>
> "I accept that there will be cases where the best public policy does,
> and ought to, run counter to popular opinion."
>
> to which Steve Cameron replied:
>
> "How does one know where/when to make the distinction -- and of course,
> who decides?"
>

> It should be decided by politicians who have to be re-elected every few
> years.  As to where and when, there should be no attempt to
> pre-determine these.  If politics is about making the best of whatever
> is possible, who can tell what that might be in advance?

**My trust for elected officials (which wasn't great to begin with) has
diminished steadily over the years. Politicians are infamous for
self-serving decision, not necessarily in the public's interest. Even in
the short 200+ years of American history there are notoriously poor
decisions passed by politicians and accepted by the majority: Patriot
Acts, Alien and Sedition Acts, Volstead Act, Fugitive-Slave Act (Dred
Scott) -- the list is endless and of course, not confined to the US.

**Yes, it is impossible to know the future and make provisions for
unforeseeable events.  And yet, it's equally difficult for me to accept
the possibility of GWB retaining control for (what is already an
interminable tenure) another four years.  The possible damage to the
court system, body of laws, and the Constitution as well has me deeply
concerned.  It seems likely that his administrative cadre is capable of
"arranging" a "tail wagging the dog" episode shortly before the November
elections  (if the polls show a close race or have him trailing) which
might easily catapult him into maintaining his position. In addition to
some short-term disasters, the probability of serious, long-term,
catastrophic, national harm is great.

**So, no. Though not possessing the answers, my wish is for greater
oversight of elected and appointed officials -- and some checks/balances
to deal with incorrect majority opinion as well.

TC,

/Steve Cameron