[lit-ideas] Essays in Idleness

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 19:06:20 -0700

From /The Tsurezure Gusa [translated as "Essays in Idleness" //of Yoshido Kenko:/

Fancying myself a bit of a hermit in my old age, I read, "No one is so little envied as a priest. . . They are looked upon as so many bits of stick. . . Nor is a priest admired who is forceful and turbulent, for men feel . . . that thirst for fame means disregard of Buddha's law . . . There is indeed none but the complete Hermit who leads a desirable life."  I read some teaching of Buddha, perhaps back in the 50s, but don't recall any of them being considered "law."  I continued reading:

"One should write not unskillfully in the running hand, be able to sing in a pleasing voice and keep good time to music; and lastly, a man should not refuse a little wine when pressed upon him."  Kenko would have liked my father who had an excellent baritone and never refused wine, whisky or beer for that matter, cigarettes also.  He died of emphysema.  But Kenko also wrote, "What shall it avail a man to drag out till he becomes decrepit and unsightly during a life which some day needs must end.  Long life brings many shames.  At most before his fortieth year is full it is seemly for a man to die."  My father lived to the age of 76 and he was indeed decrepit and unsightly by the time he died.  36 years past Kenko's "use by" date.

My father was a lady's man.  Kenko would have warned him that "The magician of Kume . . . lost his magic power through looking at the white shins of a maiden washing clothes."   Just one maiden, I would have asked Kenko if he said that to me?   Netflix has just added a new TV series, "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell," that deals with why England, well known at one time for its magicians, "lost its ability to do magic."  Perhaps Kenko had the answer.

While Kenko wouldn't approve of my attempts to become a hermit, nor of my reaching the age of 83 (while not yet decrepit and only a little unsightly -- and I've been working out!), he might approve of my efforts to improve the condition of my house and yard:  "There is a charm about a neat and proper dwelling house, although this world, 'tis true, is but a temporary abode.  Even the moonshine seems to gain in friendly brilliancy, striking into the house where a good man lives in peaceful ease.  The man is to be envied who lives in a house, not of the modern, garish kind, but set among venerable trees, with a garden where plants grow wild and yet seem to have been disposed with care, verandas and fences tastefully arranged, and all its furnishings simple but antique."  Well, my yard isn't quite that good.  Susan was more interested in plants and flowers than I have been, but I did plant several trees, all of which are flourishing and am having my son make further improvements back there.

"Although it is generally said that the art of poetry is the one thing that has never changed since olden times, yet, with the same themes and words as are in use today, look how different are the verses composed by the ancients.  What /they/ wrote was simple and artless, pure in form and full of feeling."

I wonder what Kenko would say today of poetry written in English.

Lawrence