[lit-ideas] Re: Enjoying the Dead

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:19:26 -0800

Today's obits are worth reading aloud: Bob Logsdon, Sopheap Sim, Gladys Lang
Lee, Dot Sauter, Twanda Gustafson, Kenneth Kirchem, Faralene Gaither, Thelma
"Cissie" Andreotti, William Orlando Bounds, Skye Dittemore, Anna Engleman,
Irene Huddle, Eugene Kline III and Rance Lee DeNelle Lamb III.  Rance Lamb II
still lives.

Maybe this would be a good moment to mention Mary Roach's books?  A long time
ago on a previous incarnation of this list we went in search of funny female
writers and came up with few.  Well, she's one.  I took her book about death,
"Stiff," on my recent vacation--ideal beach reading!  The slight drawback is
that she has a chapter on death and plane travel which, unfortunately,
coincided with the flight home.  One sample fact: she asks what, apart from
proximity to the exit, is the best predictor of survival in a plane crash?
Nope, not being at the front or the back of the plane.  It's being male.  When
the plane catches fire and the exits are stuffed with bewildered people who
have been bonked on the head by falling luggage, the final extra few who make
it out tend to be male.  Not funny.  But the rest is.

David Ritchie,
Portland,