[lit-ideas] Re: Energy efficiency

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 00:27:39 -0800

Actually, I think it's correct. public utility companies (telephone, electricity, water, etc.) are guaranteed their profit. In return, they accept supervision by a public utility commission. The commission sets the rate and the profit, which allows the company to offer shares and dividends to investors. If all of us were to cut our energy use substantially, the public energy companies would indeed petition to increase the rates, and this would be given to them.

There are other reasons why energy efficiency doesn't really matter to them. What's more prestigious and rewarding for a major career: build a new zigawatt powerplant or handing out broshures on how to lower a light bill? Energy conservation is good, but it's seen in the same bucket as do-good civic morals.

We all know perfectly well that the USA should get off oil, but it ain't gonna happen: the oil companies protect their profits by sabotaging any political movement to reduce the use of oil.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>