[lit-ideas] Re: Endurring rebuke

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:56:34 -0600

Lawrence Helm wrote:

Thanks for the correction John. Time and time again you, Mike and a few others have exhorted me to quit wasting my time reading experts and scholars and to rely upon Leftist osmosis for my information, but I guess I got into some bad habits early on and can't seem to break them. . . .

I apologize for a momentary lapse into modern foreign affairs (by erroneously assuming that everyone realized what a disruptive force Saddam Hussein was, intimidating his neighbors, our allies, preventing Saudi Arabia from helping us track down Al Quaeda members, shooting at our airplanes and British airplanes on a weekly if not a daily basis, violating the 1991 truce, making deals for anything he wanted with corrupt politicians in France, Russia and elsewhere, supporting terrorist organizations and the like . . . shoot there I go again. Sorry. It is really hard to quit.
I wasn't necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with Hussein's line of reasoning, just pointing out that there was SOME foundation for his line of thought. Or, to put it in a way you might appreciate: He was no more (or less) crazy than a LOT of American liberals....

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA