[lit-ideas] "El libro de Manuel"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 08:16:10 EDT

In a message dated 4/25/2009 2:22:34 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>>"El libro de  Manuel"

Fine novel! Rabassa did the English  translation.---
---

Right. Who also did, majestically,  "Hopscotch."

There is a similarly themed novel (for a while Argies were  meant to write
_only_ books on the 'dirty war' -- they became either otiose or  tiring --
and then they were all made into films).

This one by Manuel  Puig. "Damn the reader of these pages", or something,
it's the English title.  Someone who had been involved in the dirty-war finds
now himself in a wheelchair  telling his memoirs to his 'aid' in Greenwich
Village.

------- I cannot  say I have a favourite Argentina dirty civil war film or
book. "La noche de los  lapices", the nights of the pencils, did happen in
La Plata, in my own school.  But I never saw it. But it _is_ real.

"La historia oficial" got the  foreign-language Oscar. It's based on script
by Aida Bornik and there are some  _narratives_ of 'torture' -- actually
the BEST scene by Chunchuna Villafañe (a  cutie): she retells so vividly the
way she was  'waterboarded'.

-------

JLS

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!