[lit-ideas] Dracula...

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:16:31 -0400

My father was born and raised in Transylvania (ethnic German from one of the fortified cities built there in the 1200s to defend against the Turks). He says he never heard of Dracula until he moved to the US. Vlad the Impaler's castle was in the vicinity and that story he knew, but it had no connection to Dracula. The castle that is nowadays attracting tourists as Dracula's castle is actually big and bright and fairy-taleish. Not at all sinister. The bus ride to it was frightening, however. Ursula

Andy Amago wrote:

I'm Russian Orthodox.  I never heard of vampires until I saw it on
television as a kid and read Dracula.  Certainly Slavic people are
superstitious, but so is everybody (good/bad things happen in threes,
etc.).  After all, it took the Victorian British to dream up Dracula and
immortalize him in the first place.  If you tell me about Vlad Teppes, I'll
tell you about the Marquis de Sade and about the way Henry VIII put down
uprisings and 9-year-old Edward IV who signed death warrants with impunity
and the general horrific brutality of Europe in the Middle Ages and later.