[lit-ideas] Re: Don't Laugh (Math)

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:20:30 EDT

How do you know the answer is 81 if you don't know how to get it?

I never had a head for math -- my last math course was in 7th grade algebra
and it was the only "C" I got in my life.  I suspect the hospital of
switching babies on me -- my 14 yr old 9th grader is taking pre-calc, getting
straight "A"s, and understands how to use one of those bizarre $150 IT
calculators.
I told her from the get-go, "If you have trouble with your  Math homework
don't even ask me.".

I wonder what it would like to have the math gene......

Julie Krueger
heavily reliant on standard calculators that add, subtract, multiply,
divide, and figure percentages (and the last one's kinda tricky).  And no,  I'm
not
retarded.  At least not officially.

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Don't Laugh (Math)
Date: 6/23/06 2:36:50 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OK, who can explain to me how to solve  this:

If     x^2+2xy+y^2 = 9       then   (x+y)^4 = ?

I know the answer is "81", I just don't  know how to get it.  It's starting
frustrate me.  I haven't  done this stuff in almost ten years, and I can't
for
the life of me remember  how to go about it (although I seem to be getting
the
hang of some of the  other ones...?)

Erin