[lit-ideas] Donal + weird format

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 17:07:47 -0700

Donal quotes Phil, in a roundabout way

-----------------
What I am curious about is how the researchers, or Eric, might
understand the implications of their 'refutation' for the research
project itself.  Put differently, given the 'refutation', what is the
significance of the study, beyond being the expression of the opinions
of the authors?

and seems to accuse him of various things, e.g., of being some sort of philosophical elitist and not paying attention to what a refutations really are by paying attention to what Popper says they are or aren't.

As Phil was using the expression used by Eric, or by the researcher he cites, in sneer quotes,' he was suggesting that the claimed refutation of a certain view, wasn't. We need no theory of refutation to see that e.g., 'Kennedy was assassinated in 1953,' would be refuted by the truth of 'Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.' Both may be false, but not both can be true. I'm sure there are greater depths to the concept of refutation, but the investigation of them would, I think, be another topic.

About the weirdness: I discovered when I read the screed I sent concerning the research on emotions and choice, that the single quote marks appeared as question marks. Sorry.

Robert Paul

Robert Paul