[lit-ideas] Re: Dolphin-speak...and sheep

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 09:05:51 -0800

On Jan 2, 2009, at 3:00 AM, Donal McEvoy wrote:

The statement does not run much counter to my understanding of evolution ...

This gives me a quite illegitimate opening to report the story of evolved sheep on the Orcadian island of North Ronaldsay. Since 1832, when a thirteen-mile-long dyke was built to keep the sheep on the sea shore and away from more productive uses of fields, sheep on this island have been living off seaweed. They are, as it were, the marine iguanas of Scotland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ronaldsay_sheep

I just thought people might be interested.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon