[lit-ideas] Re: Diogenes, the Kynical "Kyneges"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 15:39:24 EST

Geary:

"Speaking
of Diogenes -- I don't know no Laertius, just him of Sinope  who said my
favorite saying: "In a rich man's house there's no place to spit  but in his
face."  God, that warms for my Speranzific Communist  soul."

Well, the anecdote is indeed retold by Diog. Laertius:

"Eisagagóntos tinós autón

eis oíkon polutelé kai kolúontos ptúsai

epeidé ekhrémapsato,

eis ten ópsin autoú éptusen,

eipón kheírona tópon me eurekénai."

So we see the 'pragmatics' of the scenario are slightly different,

"In a rich man's house there's no place to spit but in  his face."

runs Geary's version. Apparently, it was not a generalisation, and the rude
action (and possibly remark) was certainly _motivated_ by the person's
previous  comment.

"Eisagagóntos tinós autón

Someone took Diogenes

eis oíkon polutelé kai kolúontos ptúsai

into a magnificent house and warned him *not to expectorate*, [rude even to
suggest. JLS]

epeidé ekhrémapsato,

whereupon having cleared his throat,

eis ten ópsin autoú éptusen,

Diogenes discharged the phlegm into the man's face,

eipón kheírona tópon me eurekénai."

being unable, he _said_, to find a meaner receptacle.

--- I notice that Diogenes was found of hunting, and that he would hunt  with
his students -- upon making him learn his own aphorisms by heart. The verb
for hunting here is indeed, "kunegesia".

Cheers,

JL