[lit-ideas] Re: Dinosaur Adventure Land

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:27:58 -0800

on 11/23/04 6:28 AM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx at JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

 Among the park exhibits
> is=20
> one that  illustrates another creationist article of faith. It consists o=
f a
> long trough  filled with sand and fitted at one end with a water spigot. =
Above
> the trough is  a sign reading =E2=80=9CThat River Didn=E2=80=99t Make That
> Canyon.=E2=80=9D=
 When
> visitors open the  spigot, the water quickly cuts a gully through the san=
d,
> supposedly  demonstrating how the Grand Canyon was created, practically
> overnight,=20
> by Noah=E2=80=99s  flood. That=E2=80=99s nonsense, of course, but what else
> would you
> expect=20
> at a  creationist park?

In fairness to those who embrace nonsense, floods can cut chasms.  Consult
this website to see how our enormous gorge, the Columbia, was formed by a
giant flood, possibly the world's biggest ever.  But for the fact that they
have their dates wrong, those looking for a Noah-like event could place it
in our part of the world quite easily.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/forest/geology/index.shtml

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon