[lit-ideas] Re: Dickinsoniana

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 12:11:55 -0700

On Aug 23, 2015, at 6:33 AM, (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
wrote:

Donald Glancy once (is this otiose?) said that you could sing all of Emily
Dickinson's verse to the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas," which I
suppose is a good thing, since it's such a beautiful tune.

In Italian, "Yellow Rose" is possibly what Frege would call a
contradictio-in-terminis seeing that 'rosa' means 'pink' -- cfr. "la rosa
rosa".

Cheers

Speranza

There's a yellow rose in Texas, that I am going to see,
No other darky [sic] knows her, no darky only me
She cryed [sic] so when I left her it like to broke my heart,
And if I ever find her, we nevermore will part.

She's the sweetest rose of color this darky ever knew,
Her eyes are bright as diamonds,they sparkle like the dew;
You may talk about your Dearest May, and sing of Rosa Lee,
But the Yellow Rose of Texas beats the belles of Tennessee.

Possible sub-text here? I learned this week that "yellow babies," was the term
in the Lee-Custis household for babies resulting from master-slave
relationships.

David Ritchie,
Portland,